Monday, August 24, 2009

A recipe for Posh Sticks



The manufacture and acquisition of posh sticks is a delicate and dangerous operation involving mind control and serious sneakery.
Posh sticks come in many flavors, tomato sauce, bolognaise, venison stew, but my favorite is beef in beer.
First you have to look into the eyes of the two legs and make them think, "hhmmmm... haven't had beef in beer for a while".
She then gets a pack of diced stewing steak ( made from Kath's Dexter cows that chased me through the field when we went to visit ), some onions, a bottle of chocolate stout and some flour. She fries the meat a little to brown it, takes it out of the pan and puts in chopped onions to brown those and then adds a big spoon of flour and stirs it quick sharp with the posh stick. Then She puts the meat back in the pan, and all the juicey juices and it all looks like mush and I remember how scared I was of that cow, and smile a little smile inside my mouth, all the while watching to see where the stick is. Then She adds the chocolate stout a bit at a time, and lots of stirring happens and that stick just takes up the juices. Then, into the oven with it all for about two hours with pepper and salt and a smile, and I curl up warm by the cooker and keep an eye on the stick which is out of reach and I hope and hope that She won't wash it and the phone will ring and She will go out of the room and I can reach up up up high and flick it with my tongue, and away.
Yum.
Yes, beef in beer. My favorite.
She gets quite cross. I heard Her tell Hannah that She wants ten new wooden spoons for Her birthday. Somehow this is related to me. I know because She gave me a Black Look when She said it. But tomorrow is Hannah's birthday and she will be 15 and last year I was her birthday present, and that makes me very proud.
I hope she still wants me this year.

15 comments:

Moonroot said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! Happy Anniversary, Rosie! And thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe, which I will be sure to share with all my canine pals.

The Curious Cat said...

Awww! I hope she still wants you too! Our beasts are always after the spoon, the plate, the bowl - you name it! xxx

rachel said...

I'd think you were related to my Millie, but perhaps you aren't, because she isn't ginger, but she's a talented staker-out of kitchens and you would make the most marvellous team. Posh sticks, butter, anything in cling film, the world could be yours.

ibcmeir said...

i want some already. Can you ship that to America?

Val said...

Personally the furry Alaskan dog favours mind control clumsiness...
the two legs are really susceptable to this especially when crowded in a caravan just focus very hard on the victim..really hard and make sure you vare parked in the way and if this fails bounce about a bit under their feet...this is usually a very productive strategy...
that wood stick sounded really great though I'm jealous

Ann said...

I am stilling smiling and I read you posh stick blog over an hour ago-what a clever doggie you are-Angie

Shammickite said...

Watch out for posh splinters in your tongue, Rosie. I think you're living dangerously right now.

Laura J. Wellner (author pseudonym Laura J. W. Ryan) said...

I have to agree with you, Rosie...beef n' beer is one of the finest things in life! Tho' I prefer mine in a sturdy piece of crockery with a spoon...but that's because I am just a two legs and I have those darn thumbs to contend with...I suppose a posh stick is more fun to chew on when you have such fine teeth! Have Her scratch your ears for me!

Griffin said...

Happy Birthday Hannah!

Yes, more posh sticks!!! Possibly a dish of gravy for Rosie too... not that it will keep her off the posh sticks... or anything else going!!

quiltcat said...

Hi Rosie. We haven't heard about your dietary indiscretions lately, and now there you are, eating beef 'n ' beer soaked wooden spoons! Can hardly blame you, it sounds delicious. Happy Birthday to Hannah! (today is Meowmy's birthday, too) and yes Rosie, for sure she still wants you and will forever and ever...happy 2nd adoption day!

Bones said...

Got a very good laugh out of Rosie's mind-control abilities...who doesn't like a posh stick now and then?

Marlene said...

Beef and beer sound divine. I don't blame you. Your mind control technique sounds like something to master.

Happy Birthday to Hannah and Happy Anniversary, Rosie :)

Kat_RN said...

It does sound good. OF course she will still want you!

Lori Heyd said...

Go Gingers! Just the other day I retrieved a shrimp off the kitchen counter and managed to drag it all across the floor, shrimpy juice everywhere. Two legs chased me into living room but then had mercy, she chopped it up and I got it anyway...I do prefer the whole thing though. Briggs (not ginger, grey tiger but I wear my stripes proudly as well.

Amanda said...

Mmmm...beef and beer. I don't blame the kitties. I've been known to stalk the spoons in the kitchen for lesser delicacies :)